Thank you for your interest in joining the staff of the Harvard Kennedy School Review!
Founded in 2000, we are a community of student editors committed to publishing timely, provocative, and intellectually rigorous analysis and commentary on the most important policy issues of our time.
We are currently building a list of incoming and returning students interested in joining the KSR staff.
Click here to fill out our interest form to receive all editor selection-related messages, and please plan to join us at one of the following information sessions at HKS:
- KSR Info Session I – Thur, Sept 7, 11:45 a.m., Littauer 380 (RSVP here)
- KSR Info Session II – Thur, Sept 7, 6:00 p.m., Littauer 382 (RSVP here)
While all members of the editorial staff contribute to planning and editing, we hope candidates will also identify with one or more of the following roles:
- Digital editor – You’re an enthusiastic news consumer. You think digital media is the future of journalism. You enjoy identifying and partnering with new writers and spotting great stories. You’re not afraid to ask an expert what she or he thinks about an important topic, and then edit those thoughts into a game-changing piece of writing. You have strong opinions about what works on this website and what could be improved.
- Print editor – You’re a long-form magazine writer at heart. From time to time, you crack open a New Yorker and love the smell of real, hold-them-in-your-hands books. You believe that a print document about important policy topics can make waves. You care about upholding standards of good writing, enjoy mentoring fellow writers, and have a keen eye for detail.
- Audio/visual - “What podcasts do you listen to?” is your go-to cocktail party opener. If pressed, you admit that StoryCorps makes you tear up, and you’ve experimented with Facebook live video. You’re passionate about recording and producing audio and video that meaningfully augments – or replaces altogether – traditional print journalism. You have a little A/V experience and you’re eager to introduce A/V newbies – particularly KSR editors and contributors – to your world.
- Communications – You’re a firm believer that if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, no such fall occurred. You’re passionate about shaping KSR’s brand and sharing the great stories our contributors tell with the HKS community and beyond. You might even have some experience cobbling together e-newsletters. You get a little chuckle from a clever subject line.
- Partnerships, strategy & business development – You are a born connector. You enjoy helping groups with similar – and disparate – goals find common ground. You’re interested in building contacts with staff and faculty throughout HKS and beyond, and helping secure the resources that enable an intrepid operation like KSR to thrive. Your first answer to can-we-do-it questions is yes.
- Events & community management – You’re energized by getting people together for worthwhile conversations – whether those folks are your fellow students, expert panelists with divergent views, or KSR editors and contributors eager to build new journalism skills. You think diverse and tight-knit communities breed great ideas and lifelong friendships. You’re a planner and a doer. You really hope the KSR editors get t-shirts this year.
Additional information about the associate editor selection process will be added to this page by August 18, 2017. Please check back for updates.
More interested in writing than editing? Please review our Submission Guidelines for submitting pitches for the website and print journal. For all other inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.